Thursday, January 31, 2019

Momentary Blindness

At first, the only sound I can hear is the falsetto voice of Nick Jonas blasting over the beat of any pop song from the past few years. The sounds of murmurs start to overwhelm my mind as I start to focus on different conversations around me. I hear someone helping a friend with homework, giving advice on an essay she was writing. Another two gossip in hushed voices about another friend. All the conversations converge into one drone of voices, a white noise. Every so often a familiar voice says something closer and louder than the rest and my ears perk up to hear what my friend has to say. Papers get flipped and pencils scratch. I hear a door open and a gust of wind flows toward me, but only for a moment. I smell wet and salty shoes. Squeaky, heavy footsteps pass behind me and I feel the breeze of a person passing by. My mouth salivates at the taste of a Ferrero Rocher my friend had given me before as a pick-me-up. The sweet chocolate and hazelnut makes me crave another. I feel the smooth keyboard beneath my fingers. My index fingers flow to the small bumps on the F and J keys. An unidentifiable smell of something savory and warm wafts toward me from the right. I don't know what it is but it reminds my stomach that I haven't had lunch yet. The drone of voices rises and falls and every so often a voice emerges above the rest. The music plays on, adding to the communal noise machine.

(Case Center, 1/31/19)

No comments:

Post a Comment